10 Healthy Reasons To Drink Coffee
1. Decrease muscle pain
Two cups of coffee can cut post-workout muscle pain by up to 48%. From the Journal of Pain, (link)
2. Increase your fiber intake
A cup of coffee can represent a contribution of up to 1.8 grams of fiber of the recommended intake of 20-38 grams. From the Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry (link).
3. Helps prevent cirrhosis of the liver
A study has shown that both coffee and decaffeinated coffee lowered the liver enzyme levels of coffee drinkers, helping to prevent cirrhosis of the liver. This study was published in the Hepatology Journal.
4. Lessen the risk of Type 2 Diabetes
People who consumed 6 or more cups of coffee per day had a 22% lower risk of diabetes. From the Archives of Internal Medicine (link). A recent review of showed that the risk of type II diabetes decreases by 9% for each daily cup of coffee consumed. Decaf coffee decreased risk by 6% per cup. research conducted by Harvard’s Dr. Frank Hu
5. Lowered risk of Alzheimer’s disease
Evidence also suggests that caffeine can protect against Alzheimer’s disease. From the European Journal of Neurology (link). Studies have also suggested that the isolated compounds in roasted coffee may be also responsible for preventing the build-up of brain plaque believed to cause the terrible disease.
6. Suicide risk and Depression Reduction
A 10-year old study of 86,000 female nurses showed a result of reduced risk of suicide among the coffee drinkers. From the Archives of Internal Medicine (link). Also, a study conducted by the Harvard School of Public Health found that women who drink 4 or more cups of coffee were 20% less likely to suffer from depression. Study link.
7. Protection against Parkinson’s
A research out of Sweden revealed that drinking coffee reduces the risk of Parkinson’s disease, even when genetic factors come into play. link. Another study (published here) found that caffeine combined with EHT (a compound found in coffee beans) provided protective benefits to rats that were genetically predisposed to developing Parkinson’s.
8. Drinking coffee lessens the risk of heart disease
A research in Korea found that study participants who consumed 3 to 5 cups of coffee a day were less likely to show the beginning signs of heart disease. The study. Other dietary factors should also be noted as Koreans typically have a different diet than do Westerners. A more recent study conducted in Brazil found that those that consume at least three cups of coffee a day tend to develop less calcification in their coronary arteries. A 2019 study confirmed that coffee doesn’t cause hardening of the arteries even among the study participants who drank upwards of 25 cups of coffee per day.
9. Stronger DNA for coffee drinkers. A study published in the European Journal of Nutrition showed that coffee drinkers have DNA with stronger integrity since the white blood cells of coffee drinkers had far fewer instances of spontaneous DNA strand breakage. Study abstract.
10. Lower Risk of Multiple Sclerosis. Recent research showed that at least 4 cups of coffee a day may help protect against the development and reoccurrence of MS. It is believed that the coffee prevents the neural inflammation that possibly leads to the disease developing. The study was published in the Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery & Psychiatry.